Welcome

Welcome to our wedding blog. We created this blog to keep our friends and family current on all our wedding events. We will be updating this site with pictures and new information as our wedding gets closer. Please bookmark this page and return regularly for updates. Thank you for visiting our site! See you at the wedding!
-love david & oanh

22.8.08

Auspicious Dates

If I told you that my family paid a fortune teller or some spiritual monk in Vietnam to tell us when to get married, then you would probably take me for a fool. It's true...the first part anyway. Why let some stranger determine our destiny? Well, it's not only a tradition but also spiritual in nature. Think of feng shui, astrology, or literally, the stars aligning with the moons to help explain it. It isn't just some fortune teller or Buddhist monk pulling a date out of a hat. It is an actual calculation based on our birth dates, time, and place. I'm not sure how the calculation is done but our birth dates are mapped out to specific stars, which have some statistical record that somehow can show our life's path. Then based on that, the most favorable date is picked for our wedding date. These dates are known as Auspicious dates or the dates that are most favorable, and marked with success and prosperity. This calculation of dates is practiced in many Asian cultures and used for determining dates for special events like having a child or opening a new business.

At first and maybe still, I was a little suspicious. Who wouldn't be? From the surface, it does sound a little fishy. To prove the fortune teller or spiritual monk's trustworthiness, my life's path had to be told. Keep in mind that I've never met this person (who's halfway around the world). When my life's story was told with a somewhat eerie and surprising accuracy (it's all a matter of perspective), I chose to follow tradition. It wasn't so much that I was convinced. It was more to follow a tradition...a cultural belief in the "right" date. It definitely wouldn't hurt especially when people who practice feng shui seem to be doing alright. Plus, I don't think I would have heard the end of it if I chose otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment